Monday, June 13, 2011

In That Place Once Again

You will laugh dear friend, or perhaps frown in disapproval, when you hear of what I did on my day off (that is today, the Queen's birthday holiday) and to be perfectly honest, I’m almost ashamed to tell you that I spent the majority of the day reading an old romance novel called 'North & South' and eating cheese toasties. Now, remember that I am a girl so please allow for me to indulge in these girly delights now and then but yes, you are right, in short, I did nothing of real worth. Mind you, it’s not like I didn’t even venture outside for I did read in two different settings; one, I read while sitting on the swings in the park that feels like an extension of the house which I now live in and two, curled up comfortably on the couch with a fleece blanket and a cup of tea to warm me through. It was the most relaxing and peaceful day of my immediate memory and even the sun shone its warm rays through the house and lit up my whole being.

Why am I making such a big deal of this simple image of serenity? Well, because I feel I must and because even though I spent the day reading about some old English fiction, it was a day that reminded me of the way God grants His beloved rest. Not to say that I’ve been extremely busy or stressed, since it has been a pretty fair week, but rather, it feels like a long time since I had a whole day like this one. Mind you, I probably drank too much tea and I foresee that I’ll be up most of the night meaning it’ll be a tad difficult to wake up tomorrow but for all the blessings that I am counting over today and yesterday, it’s worth it.

I have had much on my mind lately which I know is not worth my time feeling anxious over but I had not found something to replace and displace those thoughts and rather allowed it to weigh heavier each day. However, all is forgotten in such a romance that Christ has swept me up in. The novel spoke of the constancy of one man's love and character but even the author recognised the imperfection of the sincerest lover. God, on the other hand, is and forever will be constant and unchanging in His love and grace. He is the same yesterday, today and forever and will love us with as much and even greater passion than what the best of authors are able to pen. His passion took Him to the cross when we least deserved it and now THAT is a thought too awesome for me to ponder though I have been trying on this most peaceful day.

And once again, I look upon the cross where He died. I'm humbled by His mercy and I'm broken inside. Once again, I'll thank Him: Thank you for the cross. Thank you for the cross. Thank you for the cross my friend.