WOW! I just found out a few days ago that in the Chinese Year, we have a different day for Valentines! I had no idea. In that case, those of us who are Chinese are double blessed with two days of "Love".
I just recently finished a book called "Passion and Purity" by Elisabeth Elliot (the late Jim Elliot's wife). I must admit that I was reluctant to read it at first because it's about relationships and I've always felt that I've been to so many youth camps where that just happens to be a main theme or something that MUST be discussed and I'm just about tired of hearing what to do and what not to do and all the warnings of how to guard your heart and hand God the keys to Him, etc, etc,etc.
None-the-less, I started reading the book, since I had some spare time, and found myself hooked. The author was very honest in sharing her own experiences and feelings in her life but I thought it was a really challenging book as well as an encouragement. Even though I feel I am not really mature enough to understand everything I found one particular statement, or question for that matter, that really stood out. I can't remember exactly what it said or asked but it said something about choosing between Christ and marriage. The question was actually probably a bit more complicated than that but basically that's what it was asking and I thought that was really a challenge... I mean, I guess people don't always talk about marriage straight away but isn't that why people date because they hope it will eventually lead to marriage or something of that sort of commitment?
I guess I just liked the way that she was really direct about everything and not beating about the bush or trying to be politically correct, which is something that my dad often complains about when speople, especially preachers try to to please the crowds by telling them what they want to hear and not what God is actually saying. It sounds tough.
I guess it just made me think of my priorities. I always here some joke about "Oh! He needs to get his priorities sorted" and it's ironic that most of the time I don't and I'm pretty sure it's not just me. Is obedience to God the first thing on my list? Not just obedience but consistent and immediate obedience? Woa! Now that I find tough and if you don't, then I am truly jealous.
Well, that's all I have to say for now, I could go on and on- I get carried away when I'm typing out my thoughts...has anyone seen one of my "short updates" before because then you would know. Maybe it runs in my family (on my dad's side..)? I think I'll stop here before I get into some kind of trouble...heehee.
Blessings.
Always in Him who IS and Forever will be.