'We know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.' Romans 8:28 seems to come up a lot in my life recently and I'll admit that it's become a go-to sort of verse. Whenever something goes differently to how I want or when I'm having a particularly bad day (and it sometimes it seems that those are increasing in number), someone either quotes this verse to me or I'll see it somewhere in the midst of the paperwork and let out a sigh of resignation. So, something good is meant to come out of all of this and hopefully I'll end up magically more Christ-like.
On the front of the card which I found this verse in today, reads this quote from 'The Purpose Driven Life': God is working in your life even when you don't feel it. Funny that I would stop to think about this today because in the last couple of weeks I don't think I've "felt" it and if I've been feeling anything, it would be frustration, tiredness and a dash of insanity though I think the dash of insanity has helped keep the rest of me sane. Ironic.
Of course, I'm making things sound a lot worse than it is and in the midst of the busyness, I will confess that God's mercies have been new every morning. I find myself having to stop every now and then to give thanks for the many blessings which I so easily take for granted. For all the moments that I'm wondering what I'm doing here, I have been able to look back to the beginning of the year and remember, be assured, that God brought me here and He did so for a purpose. Some times I look at the check-list of things to do and I wonder if this is God's purpose for my being here. Did I come all the way to Australia to help keep the website up to date? Did I come all the way to Australia to burn DVDs? Did I come all the way to Australia to set up the room for the next prayer meeting? My pride is saying, "NO WAY" but there is a small voice somewhere that is saying, "Actually, yes." I may not have come all the way to do those things specifically and in all honesty, I may never enjoy doing those things, but I DID come to serve the Lord and that includes all the above.
I think I've spent the last week or so complaining to myself (and a few gracious listeners) about all the things that I wish I didn't have to do and just complaining about it has tired me out! This little card and a few reminders just made me realised that what I've been saying is actually, "Yes Lord, I'm here to serve You BUT don't ask me to..." It's a little more obvious how ridiculous I've been when I hear it like that. "Yes Lord, I want to spend eternity with You BUT I need time for myself to sleep, to "rest", to spend with other people...". It is amazing to think how patient God is, yet all the while being jealous for me. Incredible!
Most of all, in this particular moment, I am grateful to the Lord for Fridays. Oh yes. OM Australia has launched a campaign to raise AU$2.4 million for its new building (click here for more information) and I've been a little busy with bits and pieces for various fund raising events which carries through the end of November. So though I am a little more motivated with the reminder that everything I do is for and with the Lord, I am even more excited by the prospect of a most exciting Christ-centred weekend... and it might also help that I have the house all to myself and that my parents arrive in Melbourne on Sunday night. Yup yup, there are many many MANY things to be thankful for because ALL things work together for good to those who are called according to His purpose and we have been privileged enough to not only be called but called by name! Hope, trust and pray that you discover His goodness today.