I've been reading a book by Andrew Murray (ahem...the South African pastor NOT the tennis player) called 'Abide in Christ'. It's another one of those old classics that has been quietly and patiently waiting to be read on my recommended-by-dad-book-list. I suppose these books are classics because they are timeless. The principles spelt out so clearly are still relevant and certainly needful.
Only a few days ago when I was reaching some climax of frustration, I pick up the book and read two chapters each one sounding the same but pulled out two different points. The whole book, of course, was about abiding in Christ (duh) so when I saw the two chapter titles 'Every Moment' and 'Day by Day' I thought it sounded terribly simplistic and was wondering how they could be so different from one another besides the length of time.
Today was one of those days where I woke up thinking that surely it must be near the end of the week only to realise that it's Tuesday morning. Abiding in Christ every moment of every day forever on mornings like this sounds so far fetched and yet I was reminded of that chapter 'Every Moment', that God is the one who keeps us. It is not an impossibility but a promise from the God of the impossible that He keeps us and will water us every moment (Isaiah 27:2-3). Abiding does not mean that our mind is to be engaged in that specific thought at every moment, nor does it mean being actively occupied with only that but rather entrusting myself that God keeps me every moment and I needn't worry because of it. It is a reminder that in the midst of all the tasks that are set ahead me, my heart can rest and peace and joy in the knowledge that God abides with me too.
More than this, the knowledge of God's presence doesn't always feel that helpful when there seems too much for me to do but the chapter that follows 'Day by Day' was also a reminder that abiding in Christ also means drawing from Him. Being conscious that there is a God isn't enough but receiving our portion for the day (Exodus 16:4) is also part of abiding in Christ. Looking at the things that need to be accomplished overwhelms me and knowing that God is present encourages me but experiencing His grace renewed every morning convinces me more that I can continue to trust Him for strength to get the job done in the end. It is incredible to think how God made the night and the day. He gave us this gift of the present to forget the mistakes of yesterday, or rather, to learn from them and to start again, to build up the mountain of life with smaller digestible days.
A life with Christ always and forever is liveable. What a comfort for those overwhelming moments and for those days that seem to last forever!