Monday, September 17, 2012

An Update

Dearest Friends,

So it feels like a really long time since I last wrote an update and I
know that this is long overdue. It's not like I didn't have time
either, I've just been procrastinating.

So where did I leave off last time? I'm not sure. In the last 4
months, I've gotten married, set up home in Sydney, said goodbye to my
new husband (not permanently- he's just gone away for a few months),
gotten my visa, started a long-distance course and booked all sorts of
flights for Perth, Melbourne, Singapore and Hong Kong. The first
ticket that I'll be using is tomorrow when I head to Perth for a few
weeks. I am looking forward to the distraction.

As for my parents, sometimes no news has been good news but often
times, it's just been NOT-so-good news as my dad continues to battle
with the cancer and all the other nasties that it brings with it. On a
positive note, we are all thankful that God has sustained him thus far
and we are continuing to pray that God will grant strength and energy
as both my parents plan to fly to Melbourne next month (that's when I
use my second set of tickets to go and meet them). We are praising God
also that despite the physical struggles and weaknesses, God still
opens doors for ministry and all of us are excited to see what else
God can do through us as weak and struggling as we are. Please pray
for all of us as we will be in Melbourne from Thursday, 18 October
until Wednesday, 31 October. My dad will be speaking in 2 different
churches over the two weekends- please pray for strength, energy and
just for God's anointing.

As for me, in all honesty, it's been hard. I often say "it's okay" or
"I'm fine" because it's just been easier to do so. I don't have to go
into detail that way and theoretically, it's true. But of course, it's
not always as easy as people say it is. I'm a girl so that
stereotypically also means that it's worse emotionally! I miss my
parents back in Singapore. I worry about that often even if I know in
my head that God is in control. I miss Jacob. To be honest, I found
myself extremely angry after realising how much time he'd be away and
this being our first year of marriage. It occurred to me that to that
so far, I've only seen him for about half the 50% of our married life
so far!

It's not the end of the world. These times of trial don't last
forever. I was talking to someone who was struggling similarly
recently. I was beginning to feel even more depressed as they shared
about their hopelessness but as I tried to encourage this person, I
myself felt encouraged because I realised I was arguing on the side
that still had hope, a hope, ONE hope in Christ Jesus. I think THAT
"epiphany" if I can call it that, was more encouragement to me than
what anyone else could've said. The reality of the presence of God is
far more powerful. I forget that some times. Even when people tell me
that, I forget just as the Israelites forgot. Praise God that He
hasn't given up on me yet.

Well, I hope that YOU will be blessed and encouraged today as you
likewise remember that God is with you.

With much love and gratitude for your love and prayers,

Debbie