Thursday, July 19, 2012

My Hero


Cramps are such annoying and terrible things. Mine didn't get any better after last night's sleep but what did lift my spirits was when I came downstairs to find traces of Jacob. He had put out the lemon to remind me to take it (for my health), prepared the coffee and put a little note in the box to remind me to eat something for breakfast, particularly the crumpets that I recently bought.

We had stayed up till about 3:30AM this morning, returning just past 3AM from watching the Dark Knight Rises at Westfield at midnight! I was so engrossed in the movie that I didn't realise my tummy was aching until we left the cinema! Jacob had took good care of me though. He made me a hot water bottle for bed and made sure I got warm water down my throat before I slept too. I even vaguely remember him kissing me before he left for work. I believe he only got two hours of sleep or maybe less! The Dark Knight may be cool. He may have saved the whole city of Gotham and he may have surived a nuclear explosion or atomic bomb but as far as superheroes go, Jacob's still my favourite. 


I was reminded of a conversation about superheroes I once had with someone some time ago. We were talking about Jesus as "a superhero" and how He not only saved us but how we can know Him.The whole of Gotham has no idea who its saviour is. They have an elusive rescuer. They can never be sure if he will actually save them or not. The most they can do is hope. Yes, hope is important indeed but if it is founded on something that is imperfect and fallen, don't you think that hope will soon be lost with it? But we have a hope in Christ who can never fail. He is not elusive. He calls us friend and we know that He has already rescued us. He is more than a superhero, He is God! Indeed, if He is on our side, who can be against us? 


Who is your hero?